Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Inspiration

I follow a blog called Zen Habits.  Yesterday they posted this interesting article on Inspiration:  It got me to thinking what is inspiration for me. 

Here is their definition of Inspiration:
Many people think of it as an elusive quality that can’t be forced, and yet it can be found if you look for it.
Others think it’s a way to find ideas, but it’s more than ideas … it’s being moved to put those ideas into action.
Inspiration is finding something else that is divinely inspired (people, nature, amazing ideas), having that inspiration breathed into you (“breath” is the root of “inspiration”), and then taking action on it. Creating, doing, inspiring others.

Inspiration for me does come in many forms.  As the article suggests, it comes all the time and sometimes never(depending if your mind is clear and if you are present or not).  It is often harder for me to find inspiration if I'm searching for it.  Needless to say, it comes most easily when I am living in the present.  I have especially noticed this over the past 4 weeks with having my son in less than perfect health, and the constant worry that comes from a situation that you know needs to be fixed however you are helpless to take action; in fact you have to leave it up to others to provide you the answers of what that action is and you must follow their directions. 
I had very little inspiration.  In fact I struggled to write articles for my blogs or write my usual newsletter and I couldn't work out why as these are things I really enjoy.  Then when I read this article from Zen Habits, I realised it may have been due to my almost constant worry.  So this morning when inspiration came at some extreme hour, I capitalised on it.  I got up and began to scrap.  I created so many pages that I had to actually force myself to stop.  It was like the flood gates of creating had opened.
My son had his first day of full health yesterday and obviously that went a long way to ending the worry.  Although it's unsure if he is fully recovered yet; we still have some work to do with him, at least I know he is on the road to recovery. 
My inspiration often comes in the middle of the night in my sleep like it did this morning.  I'm not sure why or how.  I like to have a book beside my bed to write down ideas as they come, otherwise I am so excited I can't ever go back to sleep.  I find if I write them down, then I sleep with ease, knowing the idea has been captured.
The other ways I can think of that I get inspiration are listed below:
*my friends and family
*watching dvd's (like 'how to' or training dvd's),
*the internet of course (things like blogs, Facebook posts, some quotes, Youtube, etc)
*magazines
*reading books
*catalogues and home shopping brochures

What is it that you receive inspiration from? 

You can read the complete Zen Habits article here: http://zenhabits.net/2010/03/little-inspiration-guide/#more-5761

No comments: