Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Enjoying Food

When I was little, my Mum and Dad always nagged me to eat my dinner.  I distinctly remember sitting at the table for ages, being made to eat everything on my plate.  I still have that belief that I have to eat everything on my plate.  I find it challenging to leave food on my plate.  My goal this year of enjoying every mouthful of food is helping me create better eating habits.  I have noticed that if I actually pay attention to what I'm eating and eat slowly, savouring every mouthful, I am eating less.  I know it is said it takes 20 minutes for your tummy to recognise that you are hungry (or somewhere in that vicinity) but I noticed I was eating my dinner in 10 or so minutes.  Now it takes me a little longer; say 15 minutes, because I'm more focused on what I'm eating and enjoying how it tastes rather than just chewing it and swallowing it. I have also noticed when I'm finished, I'm finished.  I am no longer hungry.  I put my plate in the dishwasher and I'm gone to create or do something I enjoy.  I guess now I need to keep that going to try to change the belief that I have to eat everything on my plate.  Maybe I need to change that to 'I eat until I am no longer hungry' or something similar.  Do you have a belief like this that is stopping you from achieving what you want to achieve?  How can you change that belief so it upholds what you want to achieve? 

No comments: